Frequently Asked Questions (Halton Hills Minor Hockey)

PrintFrequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

When does registration commence for the hockey season?

Registration will begin in mid March.  Check the HHMH website for details and News Articles announcing when Registration is open.


Is there a family discount?

No. Players are assessed fees on an individual basis.

Can I postdate my cheque?
Any Player wishing to tryout for Rep Hockey in the spring. must have Basic Registration Fee paid in full by the spring deadline (see Registration General page). House league Players may opt to defer payment to the fall, typically around August.

When will a new registrant know if their application has been accepted?

Returning players have until the spring deadline to register, any new and/or returning players will then be subject to availability.


Can I pay in installments?

Please contact the Registrar for information.  Click to Email the Registrar.


Can I register in person?

HHMH and the OMHA requires everyone to register online.   

How do I know my registration is confirmed?

When you submit your registration form on line, you will receive a confirmation number.  It is recommended you print this page and keep it for your records. If you have entered a valid email address (and your computer security settings allow cookies) during registration, you should also receive an email confirmation.


How do I get a receipt for income tax purposes?

Once your payment has been received you should receive a receipt via email from Hockey Canada.    If you did not get an emailed tax receipt or have lost it, you can retrieve it by logging into the Hockey Canada site where you registered online for the current season.  A link can be found on under Registration on the main website menu.  Please avoid contacting the Registrar for receipts.


When will I be contacted as to what team my child is on?

Everyone should be contacted by end of September.  Check the website for when your child may be required for on-ice evaluations for House League.  If you have not been contacted by September 20th, please email your child’s name, age and your phone number to the RegistrarPlease do not email prior to September 20.

What levels of hockey are available?

The levels of hockey are as follows:

1.         House League

2.         Select (exhibition travel team from House League) all except Major Midget

3.         Representative (Rep): Divisions at HHMH are AA, A & AE

More information may be found via the main menu under Programs, in particular, the Hockey Streams page. There you will find an info-graphic, which helps show the particular streams. 


When are Rep and MD tryouts?

Rep and MD try-outs typically start in April.  A schedule will be posted on the HHMH website closer to that date.  Players must be registered and payment for basic registration must be received prior to trying out.


When are Select Tryouts?

Select Tryouts are typically done in the fall around the same time House League teams are picked (Typically at the beginning of September).  Watch the HHMH website for news on tryouts when dates are set etc.


When does the hockey season start?

House league hockey usually starts the end of September.  Rep Hockey starts the beginning of September. 


When will my child play?

House league registrants usually play one game per week.  Schedules will be posted on the HHMH website.  Each team has their own webpage on the HHMH site, accessible throughout the year.  You can also subscribe to the calendar to autofill your own personal calendar on your home computer or mobile device.


When does my child practice?

House League registrants practice at a variety of times on a rotating basis.  Practices are shared with another house league team.  Check the HHMH website for schedule closer to season start.  You can also subscribe to the calendar to auto-fill your own personal calendar on your home computer or mobile device.


Can I specify a certain coach that I want my child to play for?

Unfortunately, with a registration base of over 1850 participants it has become impossible to accommodate special requests.  Coaches are responsible for drafting their own teams. Therefore, if you are coaching you can ensure your own child is on your team.


Can I request that my child play with his friend for car pooling purposes?

Again, it is impossible to accommodate special requests.  Once the first week of hockey has been played and it is unworkable for you to get your child to the arena, a request in writing can be given to the League Convenor and they will try to accommodate your situation.  If you can not be accommodated, you can request a refund.

My child wants to be a full time goalie - does he/she get to play a full game each week?

Normally we have more children requesting to play goal than there are teams for - most teams have at least 2 goalies.  When numbers exceed 2 per team they are taken on first come first serve basis.


What documentation do I need if I want to coach or trainer?

All coaches and trainers staff must have completed the Respect in Sport-Activity Leader.

Coaches and trainers are now required to attend clinics sponsored by the Ontario Minor Hockey Association.  For information on what is required and where to attend these clinics go to  More information is on our Coaches Corner page under Resources from the main menu.  (look for Coaching/Staff Qualifications link)


Also, the OMHA requires a Criminal Reference Check (Police Check) which can be obtained through your local police station.more See the Coaches Corner or Volunteers pages for details.


Where can I sign up to be a coach or trainer? 

Coaching applications can be filled in our website.  For House League, go to the House League Home or Coaches Corner page.  For Select go to the Select Home page (both found under “Programs” on the main menu).  Rep applications are solicited usually early in the new year for the following season.  Trainers are usually picked by the head coaches but we are always looking for volunteers and trainers at large.  Check out our Volunteers section from the main menu under “About Us”.


What is the Hockey Initiation Program?

For players aged 4-6 inclusive, HHMH has successfully implemented a comprehensive Hockey Initiation Program.  For more information, access the Hockey Initiation Program via the main menu under “Programs”.  Schedule for this program is accessible via the HHMH website under the appropriate team/group your child is placed on.

Is there a league specifically for girls?

Yes there is.  Click The North Halton Twisters for more information.

Where can I get a permission to skate form for the Halton Hurricanes AAA team?

You must have registered with Halton Hills Minor Hockey prior to receiving a permission to skate form.  More information and link for the Permission to Skate form can be found on the Registration General page. .


What address do I use if I am moving to Halton Hills?

Please use your new address when registering. If you do not have a Halton Hills Phone Number as yet - put the phone number you have now and then advise the Registrar when you receive your new phone number.


Can I be reimbursed fees?
Basic registration fees for any player who, for any reason, ceases to play in the HHMH prior to August 15th (Season Start), will upon application, be reimbursed full fees paid minus a $25.00 administration fee.


Basic registration fees for any player who ceases to play in the HHMH between August 15 and October 15th, will upon application, be reimbursed on a prorated basis less a 10% administration fee.


After October 15th money will be refunded on a prorated basis only to players who have a medically supported injury and can no longer play. or a player who moves out of the area

What equipment does my child require?
Click Ontario Hockey Federation required equipment to see a list of what your child requires.  Also, mouth guards are required by the OMHA.  If you and your child are new to hockey and unsure on what/how the equipment should fit, please see the video at the end of the webpage from the OMHA Trainer Resources.  Also, visit our Parents page for more useful information.

NOTE: HHMH supplies socks and jersey's for all House League players.  Rep and Select jersey's and socks are either purchased or sponsored.


Geraldine Hardcastle  ([email protected]) ;

Phone (905) 873-1600;
26 College St. 
Georgetown ON L7G 2N7


Printed from on Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 4:10 PM